If you are Windows op. system user then probably you are familiar with following notification:
This is a notification about suggestion to update eID software. Press 'Start downloading' when you see a notification like that.
Why is software update important?
- From time to time Trusted Service Lists (TSLs) expire;
- Thanks to that it is not possible to validate nor give digital signatures with DigiDoc3 client.
- Any version of eID software (as any other software) has known issues, read more information about them here. Usually each version update includes fixes to some of them, read ore information from here.
- Newer version of software provides greater security and may contain additional functionality.
How to update eID software?
Latest version of eID software is always available on website https://installer.id.ee
IF eID software does not offer an automatic update, then:
- Run ID-card utility and click on ’Settings > Check for updates and close utility’
- If there is a new version available then follow onscreen instructions.
Mac OS X
- If you have installed DigiDoc3 client (includes DigiDoc3 crypto) and ID-card utility then Apple's AppStore will keep your software up to date.
- If you are using your eID card with browsers in order to enter and/or sign digitally in e-services then you will have to keep up to date web components. If there is a new version available, then software will notify you, but from time to time you should check for updates manually as well. In order to do that:
- Type to Spotligh seach (top right corner) id-updater and press on Enter. Wait till id-updater launches and if you see bottom left corner button 'Download update' active, then click on it and follow onscreen instructions.
Keeping software up to date may be a little bit more difficult, but following instructions will help you to do that:
- Run Terminal, write there „sudo apt-get update open-eid“ (without quotes) and press Enter. After that you wil have to enter superuser password and press Enter again. If there is an eID software update available then it will be updated by now.