A certificate is an electronic certification that binds the data necessary for certifying the authenticity of the person and the digital signature with a person and certifies the identity of the person.
There are two certificates on the chip of the ID-card/digi-ID: one certificate is meant for personal identification and the other is for digital signature.
- ID-cards issued before 1 January 2007 are valid for 10 years and its certificates are valid for 3 years. The certificates can be renewed free of charge upon the expiry of their validity.
- ID-cards issued since 1 January 2007 are valid for 5 years and its certificates are valid for the same period as the card itself – 5 years – and the certificates need not be renewed.
- The digi-ID-card and its certificates are valid for 3 years and renewal of the certificates is not possible.
In case of Mobiil-ID, the certificates are not located on the SIM. However, there are also two certificates bound to Mobile ID – one for personal identification, and the other for digital signature.
- Mobiil-ID certificates issued before 01.02.2011 are valid for 5 years. After this period has passed, the SIM must be replaced.
- Digital identity card certificates in the Mobiil-ID format issued since 01.02.2011 are valid for 3 years. After this period has passed, the SIM must be replaced.