Accessing the portal
You will need the following to use the DigiDoc Portal:
- ID card, card reader, ID card software, computer connected to the Internet and knowledge of your ID card’s PINs or
- subscription to the Mobile ID service, computer connected to the Internet and knowledge of your ID card’s PINs.
To enter using the ID card, insert the card in the reader so that the card’s chip is inside the card reader, and then click on the “ID card” button. You will see the dialogue box that shows the found ID card certificates: it will display both the card holder’s name and the certificate issuer’s name. Click OK to confirm. You will then see the window where you must enter PIN 1 for personal identification.
To access the portal using the Mobile ID service, click on the “Mobile ID” button and enter your mobile phone number. Follow the instructions on your mobile phone screen and enter in the phone the PIN that is connected with the Mobile ID service for personal identification.
A light version of the DigiDoc Portal exists for checking digital signatures at https://digidoccheck.sk.ee. This is an easy and convenient solution for checking digital signatures of documents. You will need a computer connected to the Internet but no special software, card reader and ID card are required. You can now also digitally sign documents via the DigiDocCheck Portal if you have the ID card and card reader or are subscribed to the Mobile ID service.
The DigiDoc Portal can be used in Estonian, Russian, English and Lithuanian.
Uploading a document
To start using the portal, you will need to upload a document there. In the left-side menu click on “Add document”. You will see the document addition dialogue box through which you can find on your computer’s hard drive the file that you wish to upload to the portal and sign. To find and add the file, click on the “Browse” button.
If you wish, you can fill in the “Additional information” text field with details about the document, no formatting required. This information will be displayed later to those with whom you share the document and who examine it. You can thus add relevant background information but you can also leave the text field empty.
Having found the desired file and entered optional additional information, click on the “Save” button and a more detailed view of the document will appear along with the possibilities offered by the portal: information about signatures and about signature sharing.
You can use the portal to simultaneously sign several document files. Having uploaded one file, you can add more files to that document container prior to signing. The new ddoc-container is named after the first file. You can later rename the container by clicking on the “Rename” button.
The document is now visible on the list that you can open by clicking “Documents” in the left-side menu.
Sending a document via the DigiDoc messaging gateway
You can also create a document for the portal using the DigiDoc messaging gateway that was developed in cooperation with Elion. The portal’s messaging gateway accepts voice calls (saves them in the MP3 file format) and faxes (saves them in the TIFF file format). You can then easily process your submitted calls and faxes: add digital signatures to them on the portal, share with others, etc. To use the DigiDoc messaging gateway, dial its number (+372) 611 9911 and follow the instructions.
Viewing the document list
The list of documents opens when you access the portal. It shows all documents in your private folder. Use the top drop-down menu to select the list viewing options: display all documents or only those complying with certain conditions. For instance, the option “Display my shared documents” is for viewing only the documents that you have shared with other for signing purposes (sharing of documents is described in more detail below). You can also view all documents, those “waiting for my signature”, “waiting for signatures of others”, “signed by all” or “shared by others”. You can also set the number of documents displayed per page: 20, 50, 100 or all. If you wish to view a particular document, just click on its name.
The document list button “Delete marked documents” allows deletion of one or several selected documents. To select the documents that you wish to delete, tick the corresponding checkboxes and click on the “Delete marked documents” button.
The list of documents displays the last document modification time and the file status: signed by you, sent to you, sent by you, sent to you with registration. The list of document has the “Download selected documents in zip file” button for convenient downloads of single or multiple documents to the computer in the compressed ZIP file format. To select the documents that you wish to download, tick the corresponding checkboxes and click on the “Download selected documents in zip file” button.
Viewing a document
When you click on the desired document name on the list of documents, the detailed view of the document will appear with the following information:
- File information – you can upload several documents to the portal for simultaneous digital signing. The new container is named after the first file. You can later rename the container by clicking on the “Rename” button. You can download the previously uploaded file to the computer or delete it.
- Additional information – if provided by the document uploader (see section “Uploading a document”).
- Information about signatures – signatures connected with the document: signer’s name, personal identification code and signing time.
- Information about document sharing – who shared the document with whom for signing.
You can perform the following actions using the corresponding buttons available in the detailed view:
- “Rename” – rename the container. The container name by default is the name of the first uploaded file but you can later change it. Renaming the container will allow you to sort your documents more efficiently.
- ”Download” – download the previously uploaded file in the .DDOC format. You can save the signed document either in its initial uploaded format (Word document, Excel spreadsheet, JPG image, etc.) or with the signatures. To download the file with the signatures, click on the “Download” button and the document will be saved to the computer in the DigiDoc format, i.e. with the .DDOC file extension. You can open the file with the DigiDoc Client to check signature validity without accessing the portal. To download the file in its initial format, click on the “Save” icon next to the file.
- “Delete” is for file deletion. When you click on the “Delete” button, all information related to the document (initial file, signatures) will be deleted from the portal and it cannot be restored.
- “Add file” – for adding a new file to the container. You can only add a file to an unsigned container.
- “Validity confirmation sheet” – view the digital signature validity confirmation sheet (see section “Compiling a digital signature validity confirmation sheet”).
- “Sign” – to digitally sign the document (see section “Signing a document”).
- “Share to portal user”– for sharing one or several files with other parties that must sign it (see section “Sharing a document”).
Viewing a document shared with registration
A document shared with registration means that the person sharing it wishes to obtain the document receipt confirmation. That is why before opening and reading the document sent to you with registration you will first have to sign the document receipt confirmation. The signed confirmation will become available to the document sharer.
Documents shared with you with registration are visible on the list of documents and you can perform all the usual actions with them, as described in section “Viewing a document”.
Documents shared with you with registration are marked with the padlock icon on the list of documents.
Signing a document
To sign the document, click on the “Sign” button in the document detailed view. The signing application will be launched, it may take a few seconds. In the application you can specify the signer’s location (city, county, country and postal code) and role/resolution, where you can enter the job title and so on. Entering such information is not mandatory and the signature can be added even if none of these fields is filled in.
Click on the “Sign” button to open the information window explaining the legal aspects of digital signatures. You should read the document and approve its contents, i.e. understand what exactly you are giving your legally binding digital signature to, just like you would do when signing a document on paper. When you now click on “Sign digitally” the application will require you to enter the necessary digital signature PIN (PIN 2). After that your document is digitally signed. Having signed the document, you will see your name in the window listing the signers of the document. You signature will be immediately visible to all persons with whom you have already shared the document so there is no need to send the document to them again.
Compiling a digital signature validity confirmation sheet
The digital signature validity confirmation sheet contains information about the document signers and the signed files. This is not legally equal to actual signatures but is suitable for institutional use and archiving purposes on the condition that the initial document is preserved.
To compile a digital signature validity confirmation sheet, click on the “Validity confirmation sheet” button when viewing the document information. You will see the validity confirmation sheet. You can click on the “Print” button to print out the sheet. You can then write the necessary additional information on the printed validity confirmation sheet.
You can create a convenient list of the contacts that you use most frequently on the DigiDoc Portal.
To add a contact to your list of contacts, open the “Contacts” menu and click on the “Add contact” button. Enter the personal identification code of the person you wish to add to your contacts and click on the adjacent “Find name based on personal identification code” icon. If you wish, you can instead enter the first name and surname manually. The personal identification code, first name and surname fields are mandatory for creating a new contact.
Click on the “Add to contacts” button and the new contact will be added to the list of your contacts.
NB! Always make sure that you have entered the correct personal identification code. If you enter a wrong personal identification code, you will not be able to share a file with the desired person.
Instead of manually adding contacts, you can add them from among your document signers and the persons who have shared files with you. To add a contact in this manner, open the document detailed view page and click on the signature or the “Add person to contacts” icon in the sharing line.
Managing your contacts
The persons added to the list of contacts appear in the contacts menu where you can delete them or modify their data as necessary.
To rename the contact, click on the “Change” button at the end of the line and rename the contact in the suitable manner.
To delete one or several contacts, tick the corresponding lines and click on the “Delete marked contacts” button.
Sharing a document
You can share a document with other DigiDoc Portal users who can sign or save it. This is the easy way of obtaining multilaterally signed documents.
To share the document, go to its detailed view page. Enter in the personal identification code field the personal identification code of the person with whom you wish to share the document to have it digitally signed by that person. You can instead choose the file recipient from the list of your contacts. The third option is to search for the person’s personal identification code by his/her name if the person has allowed this option. Click on the “Personal identification code search” icon by the personal identification code field. In the new window enter the person’s first name or surname or “surname,firstname” (comma-separated, no blank spaces or quotation marks) and click on the search button. Browse the results to select the desired person.
The person(s) with whom you have shared the document will see it in their list of documents on the portal.
Any person with whom you have shared the document can then share it with others and you will see the persons with whom they have shared your document. If one of the persons connected with the document (sharer or recipient) signs it, the signature will be immediately visible to the others. The document is therefore constantly synchronised between the different persons and all can save/download it if necessary. If one person deletes the document then the others will still retain it.
To cancel the document sharing (if initiated by mistake) you can delete the sharing action by clicking on the “Cancel sharing” red cross icon in the sharing line. This button is available until one of the shared document recipients views it.
If you need confirmation that the shared document has been delivered to the recipient you can use the portal’s function of sharing documents with registration.
To share the document with registration, go to the document detailed view page, enter the recipient’s personal identification code, tick the registered delivery box and click on the “Share to portal user” button. Registered delivery is different from ordinary document sharing only in the fact that the recipient cannot view the document shared with registration until (s)he signs the document receipt confirmation. The document sharing procedure is described in more detail in the “Sharing a document” section.
When the recipient signs the document receipt confirmation, you can download the signed confirmation in the “Shared for signing” part of the detailed view of the shared document. To download the confirmation, click on the icon with the opened padlock. The padlock in this icon remains closed until the corresponding recipient opens the file.
If the document has been simultaneously shared with several persons, only the sharer can view and download the confirmation files
Preferences and e-mail notifications
One of the portal functions is automated delivery of personal e-mail notifications about certain events. You can set up the notification function in the left-side menu under “Preferences”.
- E-mail notifications – which particular events you wish to be notified about. The list of events:
- File delivered to me via the DigiDoc messaging gateway. Someone has sent you a file (fax or voice call recording) to your personal folder using the DigiDoc messaging gateway (telephone service).
- Someone shares me a file. Another user of the portal has shared a file with you for viewing or signing.
- I sign a file connected with myself. This own action can also be confirmed via e-mail.
- Someone else signs file associated with me. It is irrelevant who exactly shared the file and who signed it first as you will be notified if you are connected with the file, as sharer or recipient.
- Everyone has signed a document associated with me.
- Someone signs a document shared by me
- Someone has confirmed receipt of a file shared by me with registration. The confirmation file can be viewed in the detailed view page of the document shared with registration.
- The e-mail address for notification delivery. You can enter your personal @eesti.ee address and any other e-mail address.
- The signer’s role and location data as of the moment of signing. You can request the signer’s location (city, county, country and postal code) and role/resolution, where you can enter the job title and so on.
- You can (dis)allow other portal users to search for you personal identification code by entering your name when they want to share files. When you allow this, it will be easier for others to share documents with you.