Where can I use ID-card as a travelling document?

Since 1. May 2004, when Estonia became a member of the European Union, ID-card as a primary identification document in Estonian Republic is also an acceptable identification document inside European Union.

As of 1 May 2004, Estonian citizens are able to enter the territories of other Member States of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA) with the ID-card:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Spain
  • Netherlands
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Cyprus
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • France
  • Sweden
  • Romania
  • Germany
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Finland
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Denmark
  • Czech Republic
  • Hungary
  • Croatia
  • Swiss Confederation

In addition to the above countries, Estonian citizens are also able to travel to Macedonia and Serbia with the identity document (ID-card).

For travelling outside of the EU, then Estonian citizens need a valid traveling document - passport.

Digi-ID is a digital identity document and it is not possible to use it for travel.

Residence permit card is a compulsory internal identity document issued to an alien staying/residing in Estonia on the basis of a residence permit or right of residence. By means of residence permit card it is not possible to travel. 

Read more at Politsei- ja Piirivalvamet website.


If you didn't find an answer to your question, send it to our team.

  • See instructions
  • Please estimate your ability to use the computer, so that we can provide you with the best guidance


  • Verification failed

How can we improve the article and be more helpful?
Send Close