Where can you travel with an ID-card?

Estonian citizens can use their ID-card to enter other European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) member states without a passport.

NB! Only ID-cards and passports are valid as travel documents (residence permit cards, digital ID and other documents cannot be used for travel purposes!).

The list of countries you can enter with your ID-card

The latest travel information is always available on the ReisiTargalt website.

  • How long does a travel document need to remain valid?

    Show Hide

    If you travel to member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area, you need to ensure that your passport and/or ID-card is valid during your trip: the document does not need to remain valid for three or six months after the planned end of your trip.

    The only valid travel documents for traveling outside of the European Union are passports, for which each country establishes its own validity requirements. Additional information can be obtained from embassies or on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Please note that if you travel to several countries – even if it is just for a layover – you should familiarise yourself with each country’s requirements separately.

    The latest information about the countries where you can travel with your ID-card is always available on the Reisi Targalt website that is maintained by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.