The free Smart-ID app enables you to log in to e-services, confirm transactions and bank transfers and sign documents: its possibilities are almost as vast a those of ID-cards, digital IDs or mobile-IDs.
Smart-ID is a simple and convenient solution that enables you to log in to e-services, make bank transfers, confirm transactions and give digital signatures, etc.
The advantages of Smart-ID are its ease of use and the opportunity to create an account on any number of smart devices – the solution is independent of the SIM card.
Smart-ID is an ideal solution for those who:
- wish to have another convenient option for electronic identification in addition to the ID-card;
- need Smart-ID mostly for using e-services: entering the Internet bank and larger e-services and confirming transactions/activities there;
- don’t need the option of signing and/or encrypting digital documents daily;
- wish to get urgent things done on their smart phone;
- want use across devices;
- travel often and do not wish to or cannot always use an ID-card for accessing e-services.
Detailed instructions can be found on the Smart-ID website, where necessary.
1. Download and install the Smart-ID app
You can download the Smart-ID app free of charge from the App Store and Google Play. Install it on your phone.
2. Sign up for a Smart-ID account.
The app alone is not sufficient: you also need to create an account in order to use a Smart-ID. The necessary instructions are displayed on screen, but make sure you have your ID-card or mobile-ID at hand before you start the registration process because you are going to need them.
3. Authorise your account
In order to personalise your account, you either need your ID-card or mobile-ID. You can personalise your account from any device. For instance, you can authorise your smartphone Smart-ID account on the computer. Step-by-step instructions are displayed on your phone screen.
4. That’s it!
Once you have registered an account, you can immediately start using your Smart-ID. You can use your Smart-ID to log in to most large e-environments (for example, banks, larger e-services, etc.) that support ID-cards and mobile-IDs. Unfortunately, Smart-IDs are not currently as common in Estonia as ID-cards and mobile-IDs.
A detailed list of e-services that support Smart-ID.